(given with every sign since the beginning)
FREE HUGS Preparation and General Guidelines
1) LET GO OF YOUR STORIES. If you are doing this for the first time, it will help a lot if you let go of all expectations “stories” … of who you are (or what you aren’t) & all your “what if’s”, as they are mostly that, Stories. Nobody knows the future, so for the most part, let go of it all. Once you offer FREE HUGS once, most (if not all) of the assumptions, fears, and/or anxiety you may have right now about taking part in this genuine act of (( LOVE )) … will be gone!
2) WE ARE AN OPTION. You and your sign are a hug(s) option for people. You holding the sign is you opening your heart and saying “YES”, “I Love You” and “I’m Here for You” to Anyone who might want or need a hug. The idea is that people choose You, you do not choose them. Your sign is not a license to walk up to and hug Anyone, Only the opposite sex, or Only the people You choose. It’s a great lesson in Acceptance, Tolerance, Unity, and Unconditional Love.
3) WE ARE NOT ACTIVISTS. R E S P E C T … Refrain from “camping out” in the direct walking path of people to give Them free hugs and/or to use yourself and your sign to “shadow” people and pretty much not let them pass until/unless they give You a hug. T R U S T that you will get hugs =) and you Will get hugs!
4) ENCOURAGE OTHERS. Encourage the people who come to you for a hug or those who express interest … to try it for themselves! Be prepared to give up your own sign for a while to pass the torch to someone who might not have had the opportunity otherwise. Just try to remember to give them some of these minimal guidelines to be respectful, before they begin (pretty important).
5) SMILE. Be as ALL-IN to the moment and what you are there for as you possibly can … your smile and intent will show. The main thing to remember is you CAN do this and hugs WILL happen! You may just need to be a little patient. Fairs, festivals, art walks, city centers and farmers markets are always good!
6) HAVE FUN! Use the minimal amount of awareness and common sense needed to be safe and just Have Fun! We can pretty much guarantee if you follow these general guidelines, that you will feel more inspired and have more genuine Fun offering FREE HUGS than nearly anything else you could do with your free time!
To sponsor a sign(s) or get more signs call (818)237-3487 Anytime!